In numerous retail shops we have contracted green electricity:
- NaturEnergie AG provides the electricity to selected TUI Reisecenter travel agency outlets in Germany since 2003. 700 travel agencies belonging to TUI and its franchise partners have contracted to be supplied with "clean" electricity.
More than 10 million kilowatt-hours per year are currently contractually supplied, corresponding to the annual average power consumption of 3000 homes. This volume of electricity produced by hydroelectric power avoids the emissions of almost 6000 tonnes of carbon dioxide.
- Nearly all locations of TUI Nordic are supplied by green electricity
- More than 230 First Choice retail shops in the UK are supplied by green electricity
"Let the train take the strain"
Cooperation between Deutsche Bahn AG (German Rail) and the Verband Deutscher Verkehrsunternehmen (Association of German Transport Operators - VDV) enables TUI Deutschland to provide its customers with a range of services covering the part of the journey between home and the airport:
- Every TUI air package holiday includes a second class rail ticket ("Zug zum Flug") within the German Rail system for travel to and from airports in Germany.
- This also includes the use of all public transport in twelve major German public transport associations.
In this way, customers can travel to the airports – often more comfortably than by car – and avoid the impact on the environment of travelling to the airport by road.
Various tour operators of the TUI Group give customers the possibility of voluntary carbon offsetting. In cooperation with independent partners we identify projects that lead to lower carbon emissions worldwide:
- TUI Deutschland offers its customers the opportunity of actively contributing to climate protection in cooperation with myClimate. TUI Deutschland increases the amount donated per booking by a further 50 cents. (more: www.tui-klimainitiative.de)
- Thomson Travel and First Choice enable their customers to offset emissions through the World Care Fund.
- TUI Nederland also informs its customers about the carbon offsetting option to compensate for their CO2 emissions, e.g. via GreenSeat (www.greenseat.nl)
- TUI Suisse offers its customers carbon offsetting via myClimate (www.myclimate.ch)
- TUI Nordic in Scandinavia informs about carbon offsetting in cooperation with Atmosfair (www.atmosfair.de) and Climate Care (www.climatecare.org)